Florida Developmental Disabilities Council, Inc.
Full Council Meeting Minutes
January 9-10, 2020
Susan Kabot, Chair
The face-to-face committee meetings were held on 01/09/2020 and full council meeting was conducted from 9:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. on 01/10/2020.
Kabot called the full Council meeting to order at 9:00 a.m. on 01/10/2020.
- Approval of the Minutes
The minutes from the September 2019 meetings were approved as presented with no corrections.
Action Taken: Johnson made a motion to accept the September 2019 minutes with no corrections. Hart seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
- Chair Report
Kabot briefed us on her meeting with Representative Manny Diaz. She also discussed the outcome of the 2020 Consortium giving Amanda baker & Eddie Hall an opportunity to share their legislative experience.
- Executive Director Report
Breen presented a power-point on “What we’ve accomplished this far.” She also included discussions about the council’s platform on the iBudget.
- Easy Read Presentation
Dale DiLeo gave a presentation on understanding with ease Easy Read
- State and Sister Agency Reports
Reports were provided by Elizabeth Perkins, The Florida Center for Inclusive Communities, Sue Kabot, University Mailman Center, April Katine, Department of Education, Bureau of Exceptional Education Services, Jan Pearce, Department of Education, Division of Vocational Rehabilitation, Renee Jenkins, Department of Health, Children’s Medical Services, Cherie Hall, Disabilities Right Florida, Protection and Advocacy Center and Tom Rice, Agency for Persons with Disabilities.
- Public Policy Committee Report
Refer to attached Public Policy Committee Summary Report.
Action Taken: Kosik made a motion to accept the Public Policy report as presented. Goldman seconded. Motion passed unanimously. Katine & Pearce abstained.
- Finance Committee Report
Refer to attached Finance Committee Summary Report.
Action Taken: Lake made a motion to accept the Finance report as presented. Kosik seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
- State Plan Committee Report
Refer to attached State Plan Committee Summary Report.
Action Taken: Kosik made a motion to accept the State Plan report as presented. Dahn seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
- Executive Committee Report
Refer to attached Executive Committee Summary Report.
Action Taken: Johnson made a motion to accept the Executive report as presented. Lake seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
- iBudget Presentation
Breen briefed the council on the outcome of the survey and the state of the state. The highlight was the video presentation featuring Sara Goldman showing the importance and the benefits of personal care services.
- Public Comment
Kosik moved to adjourn the meeting at 1:15 p.m.
Finance Committee Meeting Report
January 9, 2020
- Approved minutes from the 9/19/19 Finance Committee meeting.
- Approved the Audit for the fiscal year ending 9/30/19. FDDC has an annual audit by independent CPAs in accordance with our grant award agreement. FDDC received an unmodified opinion which is the highest opinion that can be received.
- Reviewed the Administrative Expenditures Budget to Actual Report for 10/01/19 through 11/30/19. Line items were highlighted with details and the overall administrative spending in line with the budget.
- Reviewed the Administrative Expenditures Budget to Actual Report for 10/01/18 through 9/30/19.
- Updated FDDC mileage rate for all travel incurred 1/01/2020 and after to 57.5 cents per mile. This is a decrease of ½ cent from 2019. It is FDDC’s standard policy to update our rate as the IRS modifies its rate.
- Reviewed Travel Reimbursements, Advances and Processing:
- Travel Reimbursements:
- Travel reimbursement requests should be submitted asap but no later than 90 days after completion of travel.
- Reimbursement requests received after 90 days of travel cannot be reimbursed according to policy. We must tighten our policies as we move forward with the new federal requirements to spend our grant funds over 2 years and be mindful that our auditors are looking closely at this reimbursement window.
- Requests for travel advances should be made 3-4 weeks prior to your travel date. This allows the finance unit time to process and mail out to you prior to your trip.
- One outstanding advance is allowed at a time. Advances must be cleared out before an additional advance will be issued.
- Checks are typically cut weekly. Allow a 2-3week turn around after receipt of all information needed to process your reimbursement.
Executive Committee Meeting Report
January 9, 2020
I. Approval of minutes from September 19, 2019 Meeting & December 20, 2019 Meeting
The September 19, 2019 & December 20, 2019 minutes were approved as presented.
II. Personal Care Attendant Rates
Committee members had asked for a review of the current Personal Care Attendance (PCA) reimbursement process and rates established by the Council. The committee recommended that staff work with the national technical assistance center to obtain information on processes from other Councils and consider developing a process where categories or levels of service needs are tied to rates/payments. Staff will develop options for the Committee to review/consider once more information is gathered.
III. Update on Benefits Compensation
The Committee members met in a closed meeting to review and discuss all employee benefits provided to staff and the costs associated with the benefits currently offered. The Executive Director reported on her meetings with staff and reported that a new draft personnel manual developed by the Council’s human resource consultant was provide to the Executive Director in late December 2019 for review. Incorporated in the new manual are the benefits offered to employees and the processes in which they are implemented. The Committee will review the draft personnel manual with the Executive Director and human resource consultant via teleconference once the Executive Director has had time to review it.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:45 p.m.
State Plan Committee Meeting Report
January 9, 2020
I. Approval of minutes from September 19, 2019 Meeting
The minutes from the September 19, 2019 meeting were approved as presented.
II. Update on State Plan Outcomes
An update on state plan outcomes based on the Council’s recent submission of the annual Program Performance Report was provided.
A summary is provided in the State Plan (2017-2021), 2019 Annual Program Performance Report (PPR) Update, January 2020 handout within the blue supplemental packet provided this morning.
A major outcome included $79,612,994 dollars leveraged during 2019.
III. Risk Management Training Primer
Sample State Plan Scoring and Risk Assessment Evaluation forms were provided, and Sheila discussed how these forms will be used by the State Plan Committee to make selections for all future Invitations for Proposals.
The samples are included in the blue supplemental packet.
IV. Update on State Plan Development
Sheila shared that the WellFlorida Council, Inc., entered into a consultant agreement with the Council on September 27, 2019. They are currently working on the Comprehensive Review and Analysis and preparing surveys and questions for focus groups and stakeholder interviews. Updates to the Abbreviated Key Elements Timeline can be found in the blue supplemental packet. Bulleted items have been added since our last Council meeting.